Friday, November 8, 2013

Post-Op was Tough to Hear Today

Running the Boston Marathon.  Maybe returning to the North Carolina Triathlon Series to try and place as an Open Master.  Xterra would be fun.  Perhaps the Blue Ridge Relay with all my running buddies.  A destination Ironman like Brazil and definitely qualifying for Kona again and getting to race that course feeling fit and healthy.

I should maybe wait a bit to post on a day when I feel a bit better about things but, whatever, it's my blog.  I had my post-op with Dr Hasty this morning.  It went differently than how I saw it in my head.  I guess I was kind of hoping he'd say, "Damn, what you did to your knee is freakin' gnarly!  I've never seen anybody do something like an Ironman on such a crap knee before!"  And then we'd both laugh and he'd tell me to hang in there and that in a couple months I'd be able to start running a little more and more, and, "Oh hell yeah, go ahead and sign up for Ironman Brazil 2015!  You'll be as good as new by then."

Oh man, I don't know if I'm gonna be able to run again.

He said in a year, maybe so.  But the pain will still be there.  The surgery didn't fix anything.  It helped a bit.  It hurt to walk the last two weeks before surgery and I guess that pain will go away.  Damn, I sure hope so.  But the impact of running is a different story.  The new cartilage isn't as good as the stuff God gave me when I rolled off the lot all shiny and new.  The running pain I've been dealing with will still be there.


This was the picture of the spot that concerned Dr Hasty.  I guess this is like a Before picture.


Microfracture surgery involves drilling holes in the bone til it bleeds.  Your bone is supposed to grow new cartilage out of those holes.  This picture shows the bleeding has started.

And I'm gonna need a knee replacement.  We didn't really talk about time frame because by then I was bothered enough that I was afraid his speculation would only drop further bad news.  But if I try to run, the countdown to knee replacement surgery accelerates.

 I will be able to bike and swim.  And knit.

So, I'm in the unique position of having the opportunity to try to prove a physician that he's wrong., and Dr Hasty would love for me to do so.  Not near as badly as I would like to though.  And those races at the top of this post will still be out there if I do.











No comments:

Post a Comment