Thursday, October 3, 2013

Baker's Cyst: I Don't Even Like to Bake....

Alright.  This morning I hobbled into the orthopedist.  No swelling and he could not duplicate the pain, nor does anything hurt to the touch.  All good stuff.  ACL and PCL are fine.  So, either the pop I felt last night is a burst Baker's Cyst (although apparently I should have felt the sensation as it leaked into the calf and I did not) or I just aggravated the already torn/inflamed meniscus.  Perhaps it's a flap of meniscus that just got pinched in there.

Snakes and earthworms are so lucky.  No knees.  I wish I could slither.  I bet I'd be a fast slitherer.

So, all I can do is rest the knee and ice it.  It's very painful to walk, so I left work after a few hours today and am now just chillin' at the crib.  The pain will perhaps go away after a couple days.  Maybe.  Hell, it might have been a good thing getting a burst cyst over with now rather than during the race.  Who knows?

I have no idea what this means for race day.  I hope I can start.  I hope I can finish.  It is a very interesting mental process to go from wanting to kick your own ass at Ironman and take as many down with you......to, well, maybe I can just swim and bike and then walk-run the marathon and still finish in plenty of time before the cutoff......to, oh no, there's a chance that, after all of this that I've put into it, I may not be able to do the race. 

I don't know how I could possibly get my head in a place where just watching the race happen in front of me would be satisfying.  

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet, but it's in my hand at least.........for now.  9 days to go til race day.

Thanks all for the support.

1 comment:

  1. Only just come across your blog mate, but all the best - read through your old posts and feel like you deserve a break. That kind of commitment to nutrition and training deserves to be rewarded!

    ReplyDelete