Thursday, October 3, 2013

Knee Update: When Things Go Pop

Just a quick update here to those interested.  Last night some new running shoes came in that I think might help me handle the knee pain for a few more miles during the Kona marathon.  They're Hoka One One's and are kinda like platform shoes for runners, with super thick cushiony soles.  I know better than to go for a run, but I wanted to at least see if I could run in them just down the street and back.  I got four houses down the street and something popped rather violently in the back of the knee.  I had to limp home in pain.  I actually was looking for a neighbor that might be outside to give me a ride home......just 4 houses away.

I immediately went home and texted my orthopedic PA friend and he said it could be a burst Baker's Cyst, and that a it might heal up with rest and ice.  At least there's hope.

I'm going in to see him with literally a back door clinic visit in a few minutes and see if there's anything else he can do, or at least get the okay to continue on with this.  I certainly don't want to damage anything beyond repair.

As of now I can't walk.  The Ironman run course rules say you can make forward progress by "running, walking, or crawling."  At this point I've already crossed out two of those.  October 12 is going to be a very humbling day for this guy, if I even get to start.

Thanks for the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment