Sunday, July 21, 2013

12 Weeks to Kona!

Week 2 in my ramp up for Kona is complete and only 12 weeks to go.  But the beatings will continue.  What a good week it was and I already feel stronger and my gumption-o-meter is nearly pegged.  I didn't log the swim mileage that I did in the first week due to our pool closing in the middle of my long swim workout on Monday for the little Phelps's of tomorrow to get their session in.  But I had a good run week and a great bike week. 

As for the run stuff, I logged 33 miles this week all of which were in some decent heat and humidity to get used to this crap by Kona game time.  I have a ton of work to do still and cannot even fathom how to run a marathon in the conditions that the Queen K Hwy will bring, but I'll figure that out over the next few weeks.

This week I returned to the track after a hiatus since spring, and it was no surprise I have no speed to offer but the workout was a good one and the company I keep at this weekly workout always helps get me through it.

 Choo, me, Carl, Bert and Frank doing our best to stay on course and not trip over clumps of grass or get swallowed up by massive puddles.  I love weight room dungeons and decrepit training venues, but this is getting a bit out of hand!

Today's long run took me above my usual 10 miles for the first time.  Still just a 12 miler, but it was a struggle to maintain my energy til the end suffering in the 98% humidity.  I struggled in the first 3 miles to find my gumption, but then all the way through mile 7 I felt like I had at least one more gear I could use if I wanted but was smart to hold off.  By mile 8 I was cooked and was chanting "take it easy" in my head, content to hold the pace til the end rather than lift it in the last few miles like I normally like to.  I left sweat prints all over the course.

 Testing out the Craft cool wear on a hot run Thursday evening.  The back of the shirt has a pocket filled with ice.  It was way too heavy and sounded like a Yachtzee game behind me as I ran.  I don't think this will make the cut.

As for the bike, I finally got into a groove on the Thursday night ride and felt like I was turning over proper power (the perceived kind.....I don't have one of those fancy wattage thingies a lot of folks have nowadays).  I'm excited to see how this progresses as I get my skinny on further into my training.  Interestingly, I'm surprised this ride didn't go south as I had mistakenly put a few drops of Angie's coconut fragrance oil in my water bottle prior to the ride thinking it was peppermint oil (spoda keep your core temp down - credit to Dave and Lauren Mirra for the suggestion).  If I ever wanted to try lighting a fart, that evening was a great opportunity as it surely would have smelt like a Yankee candle store.

Yesterday's 90 mile ride and 4 mile run went swimmingly!  Considering a week ago the last 20 miles of my 80 miler I was pedaling squares, I've come a long way in a week.  I explored a new route down to New Bern and back, and the last 45 miles I was hammering pretty good for an old timer!  I like to get lost in thought on my solo long rides and runs, and this one definitely gave birth to some fresh ideas I want to try as I move forward with the season.  Not ready to divulge these just yet, but they're coming!

All the pros do training camps in Hawaii to prepare for the Ironman World Champs, so I figured I better do the same......

I also decided during the ride that perhaps I'm gripping race day performance a bit too tight.  With such a stacked field I can't expect to rock Kona with any sort of newsworthy performance relative to the field, though it's important that I show up race-ready, fit, and representing of my hard work that gets me there, the Tricredibles, and my friends and family that will be there or elsewhere following my progress to the finish.  I hate to make people wait, and in this case.......any longer than they need to.  But having said that, I want to enjoy race week to the fullest, so I might indulge in a libation here and there in the days leading up to the race.  I know I certainly will need at least a couple glasses of wine at JFK airport prior to my 10+ hour flight to Honolulu to knock me out.

I was excited to hear yesterday that not only is Angie in on the no-drinking-til-Hawaii thing but so is my sister in Idaho!  I guess she's taking the underpants run seriously too!

Anyway, I'm so thankful I feel great 2 weeks into my training.  The body is responding to the increased stress and the mind is handling the lifestyle changes quite well so far.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment