Thursday, July 11, 2013

Kona Training Day 4: Thrashed on Thursday

Thursdays are all about FUN!  By now, the legs usually are a little bit tuckered, but it’s a “good” tuckered……

0.8 lbs lighter this morning!

At lunch, I take a break from swimming and instead do a functional strength routine designed by Jade Teta that he calls Metabolic Affect.  Jade trains MMA fighters but has done some work with western NC triathletes like Lance Leo, who was my coach in my early Ironman training years and is a great source and coach I would highly recommend if you’re in the market for one.  Anyway, this is a quick 30 minute session that targets all the muscle groups in the body simultaneously while incorporating balance as a factor as well.  The exercises are quick and typically require no resistance beyond your own weight, and you transition from one exercise to the other immediately getting no rest.  I have added the Ab Ripper X routine and some resistance band exercises as well for further bodily harm. 

I recover from the lunch workout as best I can during work in the afternoon because after work is the infamous Thursday Night World Championships!  This is Greenville’s “premier” group ride and anybody who’s anybody in the local cycling and triathlon community shows up, all with different agendas mind you, but for some of us it’s about sticking your front wheel at the pointy end of the group and sharing in the suffering with those that dare to join!  I enjoy mixing it up with the roadie guys and love the traditions that have evolved over the years with this workout (see my post from last March for details).  There are sure to be lots of little attacks and it’s fun to watch the group dwindle down to a smaller and smaller group.

Again, rather than drive to the ride I like to bike there for extra mileage.  By the time I dismount in my garage I’ve logged 42 miles before I slip on the Asics DS Trainers and go for a short run of 3 to 6 miles.  The pace on this run is not very critical to me.  I’m more rather interested in how the legs feel after a tiring hard ride.  I usually throw in some random fartleks within the run to make sure I’m sufficiently exhausted.  BUT, since this is only week one……no run today!  Those will get added in next week.

Soooooooooooo........that's what SHOULDA happened!  Instead the skies opened up for yet more rain and I was forced to get on the trainer in the garage and ride.  AAAAAAaaaaaaargh!  There are few things in this world that suck more than riding indoors, and at the moment the only examples that come to mind are brussel sprouts or a prostate exam given by a girl you had a crush on in high school but is now a doctor.  But since this is for Kona, I tucked the string in and got on that God-forsaken thing and managed a super sweaty 1.5 hour ride with 5 intervals of increasing power by 10 watts each.  My computer wasn't working (for the Computrainer) so all I had for entertainment was what was on the radio, which included timeless hits by Justin Beiber and that silly looking idiot, Ceelo Green.  These songs made me angry, which perhaps was good for an interval or two.  But not hours.

Afterwards, I attempted to jump rope, or jumping rope,.....or rope jumping.  I was just jumping, and there was a rope involved.  I think I look like Rocky when I jump over ropes, but Angie acts like it looks more like one of those guys from the Big Bang Theory as they flop the rope around there jumping-like action.  Anyway, once I successfully jumped up and over the rope 10 times in a row, I hung it up.  I would like to be a good jumper of rope.  This will take much practice. 

So now I'm starving, which is all in my head, I have a bad attitude since I didn't get my planned workout in, and my rope jumps make me feel like an idiot.  Total training hours today was just over 2 hours, which doesn't include the bit about the rope that was twirling around my jumping.

Angie had a sweet salmon and asparagus dinner ready just at the right time, which I scarfed up quite eagerly and almost mended my frustration.

Not all Ironman training days go well.  Sigh.

Tomorrow is Freedom Friday........

No comments:

Post a Comment