Monday, July 8, 2013

Kona Training Day 1: Medieval Monday

Today’s the day I pull out all the stops and gear up for the Ironman World Champs in Hawaii on October 12. 13 weeks away! I call this Medieval Monday, because from here on the training goes into torture mode. No alcohol, a very mundane diet of the nutrients I think I need and nothing more, and everything revolves around my training. Work becomes my rest time to let the body recover from the workouts.

At lunch I did a short weight routine including Ab Ripper X and some basic strength moves in the gym. I refrained from leg extensions – doctor’s recommendation since I have that knee issue. The cortisone shot prior to vacation seems to be just what I needed though and my knee feels brand new! I did just 2 sets of 20 reps of each exercise since I’ve been on vacation for a while and don’t want to be too sore tomorrow. Next week I’ll evolve to 3 sets.

Opinions vary as to whether hitting the weights is helpful for a triathlete. I look at it as a means to strengthen the muscles, ligaments, and joints and to prevent injury. I stay away from the exercises that target smaller muscles (like biceps curls) and what I call “vanity exercises” (like biceps curls!), and try to give them a sufficient workout through pull-ups for example. I also move as quickly as I can between sets. This is not about gaining muscle at all for me. In fact, I feel a bit too muscly for this sport but I do like to train the muscles I have to be as strong as they can be if I’m gonna tote them around anyway.

Monday nights are my long swim workout – anywhere from 3000 to 6000 yards. Tonight I did a 4300 yarder with my buddy and excellent swimmer, Frank Fisher. I always have great swim workouts when it involves trying to hang with Frank, which is an exercise in futility mind you.

After the swim, I’ll evolve to adding in a short recovery run on the greenway of 3 to 5 miles, but those don’t start for two more weeks. Then it’s time to go home, have a bath or a shower, eat either salmon or chicken with steamed vegetables and lots of water flavored with 0 cal grape mix and then finish off with a spoonful of Kalona Supernatural cottage cheese before bedtime to get the time-released caseine protein kicking in while I slumber.

And that’s a typical Medieval Monday…… for the next 3 months! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment