Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Kona Training Day 2: Torture on Tuesday

Don’t worry, I won’t blog every day. But maybe just the first week for those of you interested in the weekly routine I’m following to prepare for Kona.

Tuesdays are big days compared to Mondays. By Tuesday, I should be good and recovered from the weekend’s long efforts, so I don’t mind putting in a good one today. Today’s swim was a short 2000 yards. Nothing too lavish today, though I did throw in some 50’s with the band around the ankles. Great way to remind yourself how bad you suck at swimming!

After work is a 1.5 to 2 hr bike ride, either with the group at Eastern Pines (which involves some good small group pacelining at decent speeds with short pulls) or I’ll do intervals such as 6x5 min at what would equate to Olympic tri distance effort, plus or minus. Today I flew solo for intervals since it was raining and I wasn't sure anyone would show up.  I do the intervals on RPE since I don't have a powermeter.  After the ride I duck my head into the house to tell Angie the ETA I need for dinner to be ready (she’s a trooper for playing along with this whole shenanigan!) and then quickly head out for a run of 5 to 10 miles depending on where I’m at in my training block. The run is the important part of Tuesday's workout. The weight of this brick workout is tipped slightly run heavy, and I like to use it to see how my pacing is going deeper into run mileage after the bike ride.  Since I'm just starting, 5 miles in a downpour was all I needed. I finished it up with 20 minutes of functional strength in the garage and then it’s time to shower, eat dinner and go to bed.

So, total training hours for Tuesdays is between 3.25 hrs and 4.5 hrs.  Just 3 today though.

What a life, huh?

Just to share some further details, nutritionally here’s what gets thrown down my gullet every day:

1 st Breakfast:
A cup of fresh fruit (ie, pineapple, mango, can’t elope)
Nutella on one piece of whole grain toast
A cup of orange juice
Coffee

2 nd Breakfast (I’m half-Hobbit):
A Chobani Greek yogurt
A banana
Nutella and almond butter on whole grain bread
Diet Pepsi
Honey Stinger Waffle (optional)

Post Lunch Workout Meal:
Salad, including ham, with balsamic vinegarette dressing
1/3 cup Kalona Supernatural organic cottage cheese
1 cup chocolate milk
Small piece of Green and Black organic dark chocolate (or similar brand)
Diet Pepsi

Afternoon Snack: Peanut butter chocolate chip Larabar (optional)
La Croix flavored sparkling water

Dinner:
Salmon or chicken (about the size of a deck of cards)
Steamed veggies
A couple slices of tomato
A cup of rice or similar carbs (Friday and Saturday only)
An apple, asian pear, peach or similar

Pre-Bedtime: 1 spoonful of Kalona Supernatural organic cottage cheese

I'm not a die hard organic foodie, but some products I think it offers value and it can be an indicator of quality as well.

So, that's how Torture on Tuesday goes down.  A nice glass of wine on the porch to watch the rain would be nice, but......!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment